Friday, April 25, 2008

Zen and the Art of Bicycling


(Photo: Roberto Zingales)

I read this another blog the other day:

A Zen master teacher saw five of his students return from the market, riding their bicycles. When they dismounted, the teacher asked the students, “Why are you riding your bicycles?”
The first student replied, “The bicycle is carrying this sack of potatoes, I am glad that I do not have to carry them on my back! The teacher praised the student, saying,”You are a smart boy. When you grow old, you will not walk hunched over as I do.”
The second student replied, “I love to watch the trees and fields pass by as I roll down the path.” The teacher commended the student, “Your eyes are open and you see the world.”
The third student replied, “When I ride my bike I am content to chant, nam myoho renge kyo.” The teacher praised the student, saying, your mind will roll with the ease of a newly trued wheel.”
The fourth student answered, ‘Riding my bicycle, I live in harmony with all beings.” The teacher was pleased and said “You are riding on the golden path of non-harming.”
The fifth student replied, “I ride my bicycle to ride my bicycle”
The teacher went and sat at the feet of the fifth student and said,
“I am your disciple”

Blah, blah, blah! What a bunch of hooey. You want Zen?

10212007_0407

Throwin' back a Founders, fresh from the keg, in the middle of a race, now that's Zen.

Anyway, Andrea and I rode Bennett Park again last night.



I might be getting this Zen thing cause my average speed was up almost 1mph while I felt like I was using less energy. Though, at one point near the end, Karma trumped my Zen and I got up close and personal with the ground. It's been awhile since I crashed, I should have some nice forearm bruising in a few days. It's all good though, chicks dig scars. Andrea seemed to have a good ride, she brought along her mp3 player and rocked (I wish there was a way to add ed to country because that's what she was actually listening to) out. I'm thinking about trying that. I could play some of those chanting monks, that will surely get my Zen on and if I pay for it Karma should treat me right. Or, more likely, I'll rent some Motley Crue, Quiet Riot and a bunch of other cheesy 80's testosterone rock from Rhapsody and see if I can't make my heart explode.

Only 12 days until I get a chance to ponder Zen, Karma, polydactyl cats and feral chickens in Paradise.

DSC_0250_JPG

ohmmmm, ohmmmm, ohmmmmm

0 comments: